Gas & electricity. Warm Home Discount
We know winter bills can be a bit tricky, so check if you qualify for the warm home discount this year.
The British Gas 2020/21 Warm Home Discount scheme is closed.
If you have already applied and were successful in your application, you’ll receive your payment before 31st March 2021. If you are a PAYGE customer, you will receive a bar-coded voucher letter to allow you to apply the credit to your key or card.
For further information on the Warm Home Discount scheme, please visit GOV.UK
The British Gas 2021/22 Warm Home Discount scheme will open in early autumn.
If you’d like to leave your mobile number, we’ll send a link to the application form when we're open.
Remember, even if you’ve received the discount in the past, you need to re-apply for it again every year.
What is the Warm Home Discount scheme?
The Warm Home Discount scheme (WHDS) offers a one-off payment of £140 (inclusive of VAT) towards the energy bills of those who need it most in England, Scotland and Wales.
The scheme was introduced by the Government in April 2011 and managed by energy suppliers. The money isn’t paid directly to you – it’s a one-off discount that’s credited to your energy account, prepayment card or key during the winter – providing you qualify for the payment.
Who’s eligible for the Warm Home Discount scheme?
The Warm Home Discount Scheme separates eligible households into two groups — the 'core group' and the 'broader group'.
Core group (Pension Credit customers)
If you're a Pension Credit customer you'll be automatically considered for the discount and the Government will have written to those who are eligible for the winter 2021/2022 discount in autumn 2021.
You may qualify for this energy discount if both of the following apply:
- You're the account holder or partner of the account holder 4th July 2021 (the qualifying date)
- You receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (whether or not you receive the Savings Credit as well)
If you meet the above conditions, you don't need anything else to get your discount in 2021/2022.
To find out more about the eligibility criteria, please visit this page:
Broader group (existing British Gas customers)
The 'broader group' applies to existing British Gas electricity customers. You must continue to be in supply of your electricity with British Gas when the payments are made in winter 2021/2022. Payments will be made between 1st January and 31st March 2022.
To qualify, you must be the account holder or partner of the account holder and are required to meet one of the following criteria:
- In receipt of the State Pension Credit (unless already qualifying as part of core group)
- In receipt of one of the following means-tested eligible benefits
- Income Support
- Income based Jobseekers’ Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (which includes a work-related activity or support component)
- Universal Credit (low income elements)
- Pensioner Premium or Higher Pensioner Premium or Enhanced Pensioner Premium
- Limited Capability for work element with or without Work Related Activity element
And the benefit must include one of the following1:
- Child element for children aged 5 or under
- Disabled child element
- Have a gross annual household income (HHI) of less than £16,1902 and at least one of the following applies:
- The account holder is living with mental or physical disability or illness
- The account holder is of pensionable age
- There's a child living in the house aged 5 or under
- You spend 10% or more of household income on energy bills to heat your property
Please note, we may ask you for documentary evidence to support your claim, as required by Scheme Guidelines.
Warm Home Discount. What you need to know
You'll need to apply for the scheme each year in order to be considered for payment, and we reserve the right to close the scheme to applicants at any point.
In order to complete your registration, we'll need details of all the benefits you receive and amounts, as well as any other household income.
Please also keep any correspondence you may have confirming household income or benefits gained, as you may be asked to provide documentary evidence to support your claim, as required by Scheme Guidelines.
Eligibility requires the customer household to include a child aged 5 years or under or for the account holder (or partner) to be in receipt of Child Tax Credit that also includes disability or severe disability element, Disability Premium, or Pensioner Premium.
Subject to eligibility. Household income includes War Disablement Pension, Disablement Pension Allowance and Working Tax Credit. Household income excludes Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit, Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or PIP, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit; and is before tax and National Insurance are deducted (gross income).